icarus

on the road, again

leaving for Hannover once more this week, this time for a congress. If you want to know how my “party weekend” was, well it’s not been the distraction or relief I had hoped for (when the man who broke your heart appears there too without letting you know in advance, you feel a slight electric shock, so did I and this resulted in alot of tears the last days, good thing is I now know that tears have the pH value of about 9, don’t know if you ever wondered about this, but now I know)

Anyway I start to get over it and slowly but surely feel better and I wanted to show you what happens around here when I’m not at home. First: yarn arrives at the neighbours and now made itself comfortable in my room. This is Bouquet from SunnysideEllen, from etsy. She has awesome colorways and I fell in love with the green/pink one the minute I saw it. I want to make knee highs and after realizing I would need two skeins I started realizing that this might be the most expansive socks I will ever wear. But I needed it, I adore it and green and pink goes fantastic with my other wardrobe so I bought it. Now it’s mine. I’m not sure yet which pattern to choose. I think the yarn is selfstriping and I want to show off both, the yarn and the knitting I put into these so I want a nice stitch pattern, also I think plain stockinette for a whole knee high sock might be a bit boring to make.


Next to my yarn there arrived seeds from all over the world, even malaysia, I didn’t expected these to really make to my home since I know that it actually isn’t really all that legal to import non-native plants, but they arrived so I don’t feel guilty. I already started to put them into their new beds. Below you can see my mini-“greenhouses” for one key lime, one rangpur lime, one cherry sized chilie pepper and one normal sized which should be black, I’m curious about this one. Also I wonder how sweet the cherry sized one will be, it says sweet but what is sweet when compared to chili peppers?


And in case my crocheting friends started to wonder if I still crochet, yes I do!, I started thinking about a cute way to make an elefant. It’s trunk gives me some head scratchers.

EDIT: oh I almost forgot, the icarus socks are growing. I printed the rounds of the first sock and knitted on the train on the second sock, so they are both about the same size now and almost finished. I really like how they turn out.

What I really love is how they look when not worn, how the lace pattern ‘contracts’ the front and how the wing design looks so organic, lovely!



I received mails if I might put out a pattern and though why not, although I need to warn you that this will not be a “real pattern”, but more a good guide to create yous own, I have no idea how to write a complete sock pattern and don’t want to mess around with sizing and gauges and how to make toes or heels, but I will include everything you will need to know about the shaping of the calf and what happens throughout the pattern that gives certain effects. But please bear with me, it will take a bit of time until I can put a pdf out.

blarg!

sometimes I lack of words, today is such a day and therefore I keep things short today.

what’s wrong in this picture?


you’re absolutely right, there is only one needle in this socks where there should be two. That is because I’m going to frog them, again – sigh.

I don’t like how I can’t see the lace/wing structure of the sides.


so I started thinking and browsed my stitch dictionaries and found something I might like. Yesterday afternoon I made some more sketches and today I made a new swatch:


oh and below you can see what I have in mind. On the left you can see my first sketch and on the right there is the new idea I have, the “feathers” should touch above the calf. We’ll see how well this will work.

charting and frogging . . .

. . . frogging and charting is what I did the last two days. After I made my decision on the main pattern I was pretty sure which stitch to use to border the side pattern, so I casted on, made a lovely little toe and worked in stockinette until the toe covered my pinkies, jumped right into the fun and realized I don’t like the outcome. The fabric got pretty stiff, which would have been a plus but the stitch looked awful with the yarn. I made little cables (across 3 stitches) that included a yarn over in the center. But this little hole could not be seen. Also I could only make 4 cables to the front, which looked like it wasn’t enough at all. Frog. Next cast on and new stitch pattern, that one was lovely and matched the “little laciness, but not too lacy” idea I had in mind, BUT I frogged once more, because I didn’t like my toe, it was a bit too pointy (see above), I started with 6 sts per needle and increased until I had 48 total (I like to have the first few centimeters of my socks a bit tighter) and which would have been increased until I arrived at the heel. Yesterday I casted on again (see below), I think it’s the 5th time now (including the “I was a Bettie sock” thing). This time I started with 8 sts per needle and went up to 50 sts total (with the 48 sts I had one bordering stitch on the left side of the foot and two stitches on the right, and that felt awkward. I also recharted my foot pattern from a “everything starts just bejond the toes” to a “let’s look at bit more elegant and grow into the stitch”, which means I start in the middle of the foot and spread the stitch pattern to both sides until it covers the whole foot top and therefore the front of the leg.