I sewed in a zipper with the help of some lovely tutorials I found on the net, like the one of the talented Grumperina, who also links to Claudia and her great zipper how to. You may also find the tutorial of knitpics very helpful, they have a pdf.
I made one more of my “little animals”. It started as a fox and now I have something that is going to be a mouse, I think there will be one or two other little animals as well, like a monkey or a giraffe.
to talk a little about Sylvi, I’m about to start neckline shaping at the fronts, but the numbers make my head blur at the moment, also I think I will need to add some rows and also decreases at the arms and back, because the pattern is written for a hood and I want to go with a tighter ribbed collar.
oh, and I made cookies two days ago:
I call them cristmas pillows, they were inspired by the vampire cookies from baking bites. I used the dough, only with 1/2 cup more flour. The filling is a ganache made from cream and the double amount of chocolate with roasted and chopped almonds and cinnamon and coriander.
yesterday I also sew a nose to a little new amigurumi I started on the train to Hannover: a fox, isn’t it adorable? still blind and no legs but sniffing it looks cute!
and I have holidays!!!, four full weeks filled with nothing else but knitting, crocheting, cooking and eating and sleeping late. It’s also winter and I could tell that even clearer after I read some of the blogs I subscribed to. Snowflakes everywhere!
I also made one – a virtual one. (while waiting for the dye process to finish on my hair)
snowdays is a cool site to create greating cards with a selfmade snowflake on it.
This is mine:
If you want to put it to paper it’s also a good way of testing your cuts before making them / before it’s too late. (btw. instructables posted a nice tutorial on paper snowflakes)
I’m not completely done with the back yet but since the main pattern is the back and I realized this I feel I should keep this in mind and note somewhere.
It’s a really good idea to have more stitches per inch than the original pattern calls for (a cardigan normally isn’t as wide as a coat). The pattern calls for 12 sts / 10 cm and I have 14. I needed to make changes to the pattern (like starting the bobbles for the flowers two rows earlier) to keep them from hiding themselves within the sideseams. And now having made some more rows I find that next time I knit this I would try for 16 sts per 10 cm. Just to have more scope for the flowers and leaves.
but now it’s picture time:
I also wanted to show you the progress on the back of Sylvi, I followed the pattern for the first 20 rows and added decreases at both sides of the main pattern to have a waist shaping, then I followed for some more rows and started to increase again ignoring the decreases of the pattern, and knitting front and back directly left and right to the leafy section, sometimes before, sometimes after the bordering purl stitch. Now I’m about to start the arm decreases. The first flower is two rows lower than the original pattern, otherwise it wouldn’t have fitted onto the jacket any longer and the bubbles would have been directly on the side seam. Now the flower is directly at the waist and I think two of the petals will be sewn ‘around’ to the front.
edit to say that the lovely blue yarn will turn into the South Seas Stole by Laura Patterson (ravelry link)
and to share this fantastic hamburg christmas market Santa Frog: